That’s right, it’s another exhaustive guide to voice actors in animation! This time I’ve tackled Star Wars voice actors.
If you remember the Ultimate Guide to Three Decades of Joker Voice Actors, then you know the drill.
This is a comprehensive listing of everyone who’s ever played a Star Wars character in animated form. I’ve included characters like Maz Kanata, who is CG-animated. I haven’t included characters who appear in live action form only, no matter how alien they might appear.
The squid-headed commander of the Rebel Fleet has only appeared a couple of times outside the movies.
- Artt Butler gurgled his way through the character in several episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars (that’s the CG animated one).
- In DLC for the video game Star Wars: Battlefront, Ackbar appeared with voice acting by Tom Kane. He also provides grunts and noises in Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and appears in a number of other Star Wars
Anakin’s young Padawan was conceived for the 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars. She’s quickly become a beloved part of the franchise, to the point where I wouldn’t be surprised to see her show up in the live action movies.
- Ashley Eckstein is one of the original voices of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. She played Ahsoka in the original movie-length pilot and in the series proper, and in the sequel Star Wars: Rebels.
- Eckstein recently joined the cast of Star Wars Rebels when Ahsoka joined the crew as an advisor.
Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader
Surprisingly, the same voice actors have played both Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader. They’re the same character, but they do have very different voices. The big bad of Star Wars in his younger, less evil days appears in multiple animated projects, as does the black-armored behemoth.
- Jake Lloyd, the kid who played Anakin in The Phantom Menace, reprised the role in several of the early prequel video games.
- Matt Sloan is the current voice of the character in the videogames, including in 2015’s Star Wars: Battlefront.
- In the underrated Genndy Tartovsky Star Wars: Clone Wars series, Mat Lucas provided voice acting for Anakin.
- Matt Lanter took over as the Darth Vader voice actor in the CG-animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- James Earl Jones, the man himself, voiced the character in several episodes of Star Wars Rebels.
Darth Maul’s apprentice first appeared in the traditionally animated Star Wars: Clone Wars, and successfully made the leap to the far more successful Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Voice acting superstar Grey DeLisle Griffin played Ventress in the original series.
- Nika Futterman took over the role in the later CG-animated series.
- Montego Glover played her in the “Renegade Squadron” DLC for Star Wars Battlefront.