On February 3rd, UCLA saw the 43rd Annie Awards ceremony. The Annies are presented by the International Animated Film Association (ASIFA), and honor all aspects of animation.
In other words, they’re like the Oscars for cartoons. Awesome.
The idea for the award was put forth by voice actress June Foray, who provided the voices of Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Magica De Spell from Ducktales, and countless other classic roles. She’s a true star in the voice acting field, and she’s still active today at the age of 99!
The Annie Award Winners
2016 was a fantastic year for animation, and the Annie Award nominees reflect that. You can view the full list of nominees and winners here, and here are the highlights as far as The Vocal Range is concerned.
Best Animated Feature
- Winner: Zootopia (Disney)
- Finding Dory (Pixar)
- Kubo and the Two Strings (LAIKA)
- Kung Fu Panda 3 (DreamWorks)
- Moana (Disney)
Interesting but not exactly surprising to see three Disney/Pixar productions on the list.
Voice Acting in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
- Winner: Carlos Alazraqui (Ponce de Leon in The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show)
- Alison Brie (Diane Nguyen in BoJack Horseman)
- Will Townsend (Mr. Weenie in Open Season: Scared Silly)
- Leslie Carrara-Rudolph (Bubbles in Splash and Bubbles)
- Lars Mikkelsen (Grand Admiral Thrawn in Star Wars Rebels)
Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production
- Winner: Auli’i Cravalho (Moana in Moana)
- Jason Bateman (Nick Wilde in Zootopia)
- Art Parkinson (Kubo in Kubo and the Two Strings)
- Katie Crown (Tulip in Storks)
- Zooey Deschanel (Bridget in Trolls)
Writing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production
- Winner: Lizzie Molyneux & Wendy Molyneux (Bob’s Burgers episode “The Hormone-iums”)
- Shion Takeuchi, Mark Rizzo, Jeff Rowe, Josh Weinstein, Alex Hirsch (Gravity Falls episode “Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back The Falls”)
- Davey Moore (Puffin Rock episode “Cartoon Saloon”)
- Rob LaZebnik (The Simpsons episode “The Burns Cage”)
Who’d have thought The Simpsons would still be a contender so many years later?
Writing in an Animated Feature Production
- Jared Bush & Phil Johnson (Zootopia)
- Marc Haimes & Chris Butler (Kubo and the Two Strings)
- Celine Sciamma (My Life as a Zucchini)
- Michael Dudok de Wit & Pascale Ferran (The Red Turtle)
Zootopia also led the nominees with an amazing 11 nominations out of 24 categories.
Congratulations to all the winners and nominees! Along with everything else, this is a great list of future viewing material.